Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Fruitful Summer

Literally.

It's summer and Peasant Girl is REALLY back this time.

I've been settling into a new place, getting used to the landscape of a life with many changes, and have certainly been letting sticking to my Peasant Girl foundations slip. The reason mostly concerns my DAY JOB, which happens to be working at a wonderful organic Pastry/Cookie shop, which has beautiful, lovely baked goods, that should be an occasional treat, not something one eats every day.

But I digress...

Here are some foods that you Peasant Girls should consider exploring and why:

1. Sunflower Seeds: Cheaper than pretty much anything else, (you can get a big container for a dollar or two) these are amazing sprinkled over pasta for crunch (in place of pine nuts, which are not from a Temperate Climate, and therefore are super expensive), or ground into a nut butter! This is an AWESOME Peasant Girl food.

2. Eggs: Can I say enough? A perfectly packaged product naturally. Try sauteeing any vegetable and placing a poached egg over it. A little salt and pepper ... Done and done.

3. Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs: I realized recently how much breading is comforting. I've been seeing a lot of breaded asparagus around at restaurants I pass, and I pan-fried some green tomatoes the other day, and it was SO good.

From now on, I will be focusing on recipes, and sharing ideas with you.

Today's recipe is for my version of Shakshouka, which is a middle eastern dish that spans many countries. But you can just call it eggs in spicy tomato sauce. This is a cinch to put together in minutes and tastes so good.

Shakshouka (for one)

Need:

2 Organic Cage-Free Eggs
Small can of tomatoes (or the fire-roasted kind. I haven't tried this but I've seen them around!), or of course the equivilent of the fresh, if you have really good ones
1 tablespoon or two of chopped onion
Paprika
Chili Flakes
Sprig of fresh thyme, or some dried
1 Bay Leaf
Cumin
Coriander Powder
Dash of Olive oil

So basically, what we're doing here is cooking on medium heat the onion for a minute or two, then adding your tomatoes, and then your quantities of everything else. (PS - Canned tomatoes usually have SALT added, so please don't add salt unless you need to!) There will be juice. The waiting part of this recipe is turning the heat up a bit, and waiting until a real sauce forms, but not too thick, stirring occasionally. I didn't put quantities of these spices down because I don't use them. Other than the chili flake, all of these are simply my version of this dish. Experiment for yourself!

When a chunky tomato sauce forms, break two eggs into the pan, and wait til they are cooked. If you are brave, it helps to be able to flip them over to quicken and assure doneness. Try and keep the yolks a bit runny though, that's the way it's supposed to be (secretly I like that thick jelly texture myself, when they've just firmed up). Serve with whole wheat bread for dipping and plate cleaning! This is great for breakfast or a quick dinner.

Take out the bay leaf before consumption. This may seem obvious to some, but who knows.

(note: I've also eaten this served over polenta and it rocked)


-Rosalind

Make this! Let me know how it is!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that tip about the Bay Leaf. I have eaten one before that was left in a dish. Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete